Compassionate, convenient, affordable abortion care.
First and foremost, take a deep breath. Whether it’s your first or another abortion, we’ve got you. Please know that we are here to support and help you through this process. Because everyone’s situation is different, carafem offers two types of abortion: the abortion pill and an in-office procedure. Each option is safe, effective, and has its own benefits.
Two Safe Options for an Abortion
Abortion is a safe and effective option for most people in the early stages of pregnancy. carafem provides the abortion pill within the first 11 weeks of a missed period. We also provide the in-office procedure to 13 weeks of a missed period. Use our eligibility calculator to determine which option is best for you.
The abortion pill is often referred to as a medication abortion. It is actually two different medications taken in sequence. The first one, mifepristone, is taken during your carafem appointment. The second dose is 4 pills called misoprostol, which are taken at home up to 72 hours (at the latest).
More on the Abortion Pill ›
- The abortion pill safely and effectively ends a pregnancy in a way that feels more like a natural process than a procedure.
- The abortion pill may be better for those who have never had a pelvic exam or like the privacy of having an abortion at home.
- You can choose when you take the medication/when the abortion will happen, which means the actual abortion can be timed to start the same day as your office visit or up to 3 days after your appointment — depending on what’s best for you.
- Your visit at carafem takes about 60 minutes. While a follow-up visit is sometimes recommended, it is often not necessary.
Some people refer to an in-office abortion as surgical, when in fact, there is absolutely no surgery involved in this process. We use a gentle handheld suction device that is safe, quiet, and non-invasive. This is called a Manual Vacuum Aspiration.
More on the in-office procedure ›
- The in-office procedure is fast. The actual abortion only takes a few minutes with our experienced provider.
- You leave our facility no longer pregnant.
- The visit lasts about 90 minutes.
- There is less bleeding and cramping at home.
- Usually no follow-up visit is required.
Abortion Pills by Video Visit
carafem has been providing abortion pill care via secure video consultation and discreet mailing for over a year. We’re providing safe, reliable access to the abortion pill to hundreds of people who are not in the immediate area of one of our locations.
Get Started ›
If you’d prefer to access care without scheduling an appointment, you can find out immediately if you are eligible for abortion pills by mail and get medication mailed to you. The process will take about 15 minutes, is available 24/7, and costs $199. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. Currently available in Colorado, New Mexico, Illinois, Maine, and Maryland.
Get Started ›
Costs & Insurance
We accept health insurance and medicaid in some states, but you do not need to be insured to visit carafem. Please see our locations page for specific pricing information about the abortion pill or the in-office procedure. If you do not have medical insurance, you will be offered the opportunity to apply for discounts on the cost of service.
Still have questions? Check out our FAQ page for more answers.
Abortion care should be accessible to all who want it — cost should never be a reason you can’t get an abortion with carafem. We partner with abortion funds to offer financial assistance to those who qualify, and accept health insurance for in-person appointments. If you are concerned about being able to pay for your abortion appointment with carafem, please visit this page or call us at 855-729-2272, and we will work with you to ensure you receive the compassionate, high-quality abortion care you deserve.
carafem Does Not Discriminate
carafem does not discriminate by age, gender identity, race, financial situation, or otherwise. We welcome all people in need of our services, and you can still come by our centers if you’re under 18. Learn more about Just for Teens.