carafem offers convenient, affordable services focusing on early abortion.
First and foremost, take a deep breath and know that we are here to support and help you through this process. carafem offers two types of abortion: the abortion pill and the carafem procedure*.
All of our locations provide the abortion pill; select locations provide the carafem procedure.
The abortion pill uses medication to end your pregnancy at home, while the carafem procedure uses gentle suction to end your pregnancy in our health center.
Abortion is a safe and effective option for most people in the early stages of pregnancy. carafem provides the abortion pill within the first 11 weeks, or 77 days, of a missed period. carafem provides the carafem procedure within the first 13 weeks, or 91 days, of a missed period.
Use our calculator to check where you are.
Am I eligible for carafem’s services?
If you are interested in going to a location that offers both the abortion pill and the carafem procedure, it may be helpful to compare your options side by side. If you still are unsure about which method is right for you, please call us — we’re happy to talk to you about both options.
Both methods of abortion:
- Are safe and effective methods of ending a pregnancy
- Are natural and non-invasive; neither option requires surgery
- Allow you to start most types of birth control the same day you visit our clinic to assure you are protected against pregnancy as soon as possible if that best fits your needs
- Are affordable. The carafem procedure costs $550 — please see our location page for specific price information about the abortion pill. Our prices are all-inclusive with no hidden fees. carafem may have options to help make either method even more affordable for low-income clients.
Advantages of: Abortion pill
- The abortion pill offers a a way to safely and effectively end pregnancy that feels more like a process than a procedure, and may feel more natural and private. The abortion pill may be better for those who have never had a pelvic exam or like the privacy of an abortion at home.
- While you pick up the medication in our office, the abortion happens is a way that is similar to a miscarriage. Many times, clients can choose when they will take the medication. This means the actual abortion can be timed to start as soon as the same day as your office visit, or up to 3 days after your appointment — depending on what’s best for you.
- Your visit at carafem takes about 60 minutes. While a follow-up visit is sometimes recommended, it is often not necessary.
Advantages for: carafem Procedure
- The carafem procedure is fast. The actual abortion only takes a few minutes with our experienced doctor, and you can leave our facility no longer pregnant. The visit lasts about 90 minutes.
- Less bleeding and cramping at home.
- Usually no follow-up visit required.
carafem does not discriminate by age, gender identity, race, financial situation, or otherwise. We welcome all people in need of our services, and you can still come by our centers if you’re under 18. Learn more about Just for Teens.
While we accept medical insurance, and medicaid in some states, you do not need to be insured to visit carafem. The carafem procedure costs $550 out-of-pocket; please see our locations page for specific pricing information about the abortion pill. You may be eligible for a reduced rate; our staff can talk to you about these financial options.
Still have questions? Check out our FAQ page for more answers.
*Please note that some people refer to an in-office abortion as “surgical”, when in fact, there is absolutely no surgery involved in this process. At carafem, abortions are provided in our office using gentle hand help suction device that is safer, quieter, and less invasive than what many people think of the abortion process. Other terms to describe this option are Manual Vacuum Aspiration or Manual Uterine Aspiration. We prefer to call this method the “carafem procedure”.
Can I Get An Abortion At carafem?
All carafem locations provide abortion within the first 11 weeks (that’s 77 days) from the day you missed your period with the abortion pill. In select locations, we provide an additional option if you are under 11 weeks, and up to 13 weeks (91 days), called the carafem procedure.
What is the abortion pill?
The abortion pill is actually a combination of what is usually two kinds of pills (mifepristone and misoprostol) that are taken in sequence. In the U.S. these are most often used before 11 weeks of pregnancy. The first pill, mifepristone, blocks a hormone necessary for a pregnancy to continue to develop. Most people swallow this first pill in our office. A small number of people see some vaginal bleeding after taking mifepristone, but it’s not common. The second pill, misoprostol, causes cramping and bleeding from the vagina so that the pregnancy will leave your body (similar to a miscarriage). It is usually taken at home within 72 hours after taking the first pill.
These pills are not available through pharmacies or at most regular doctor’s offices. carafem staff has specific training to help you through this process. These pills are also different from birth control pills or emergency contraception pills (Plan B).
We will be with you every step of the way. If you ever have any questions, feel free to call us.
Step 1: health center
Take the first pill Mifepristone at carafem
Most people feel fine after taking this first pill. Some will have nausea, less will have bleeding.
After carafem, you can proceed with normal activities until you take the 2nd medication.
Step 2: at home
Misoprostol can be taken the same day, or up to 3 days later
This step depends on your schedule. We will go over how to do this in detail before you leave our center.
You will let the pills dissolve into your cheeks or insert them into your vagina.
Step 3: at home
The abortion begins in 1-4 hours after step 2
90% of clients will pass the pregnancy in 2-4 hrs.
You should plan to rest for at least 24 hours.
MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THE PILL
Ok, we can help. First and foremost, take a deep breath and know you are not alone. Abortion is a common thing that 1 in 4 people will experience in their reproductive lifetime. It’s a good idea to get as much information as soon as possible about your options. Calling carafem is a great place to start. Our staff will often start the call by asking if you know the day your last period started. This is how we can date how far along you are in your pregnancy so we can provide you with abortion options specific to your needs. You can also access our website for information about choosing an abortion with pills vs. an in-office abortion procedure.
carafem is also involved in some research opportunities that may allow us to provide a very early pregnancy termination to you or even to mail abortion medications to you if you live in a qualifying state. Please visit the TelAbortion page if you live in Georgia or the Missed Period Pill Study page if you live in Maryland.
If your home pregnancy test is positive, you may know right away what option is right for you. But if you don’t, that’s ok. Some people need to take more time to carefully weigh their options of abortion, adoption, or parenting a child. If you find you need to talk more about your options, there are several non judgmental resources we recommend such as All Options, an organization dedicated to peer counseling and support. Our staff is always available to discuss these options with you as well.
A final consideration. There are a number of Crisis Pregnancy Centers out there that pretend to be abortion clinics. They use deceptive marketing tactics, very religious themes, and often offer free pregnancy tests and ultrasounds. These places are known to be aggressive in trying to persuade people to not have an abortion – often through shame and judgment. If you’re unsure if the place you are calling is legitimate, always ask what services a clinic offers and make sure you feel comfortable before disclosing your personal information. Here’s a little more information about CPCs.
We will also want to know the names of any medication you are taking. Be ready to discuss any medical issues or allergies you may have.
We will always offer you the first available appointment at carafem that works with your schedule. We will make every effort to schedule as soon as possible, within a few days.
We take medical insurance. If you have it, please provide your insurance information to our staff when making an appointment. If you do not have insurance, our staff may be able to provide you with a reduced rate. The carafem procedure costs $550 out-of-pocket; please see our locations page for specific pricing information about the abortion pill.
- First you will fill out some paperwork (like you will find in any doctor’s office!)
- Then you’ll talk to your clinician about expectations, concerns, and any other questions you may have. She may also have questions for you.
- Then you’ll take a pregnancy test (peeing in a cup)
- You may need a blood test to determine Rh factor, something we may need to give you extra medication for depending on the result. This is a finger poke. But if you know your blood type, just let us know.
- We’ll then do an ultrasound to confirm you are early enough to take the abortion pill.
- Then you’ll take the first pill (mifepristone) at the carafem center. Most people feel fine after taking this first pill. Some will have nausea, less will have bleeding. After taking this pill, you can proceed with normal activities until it is time to take the 2nd medication.
- Start your birth control method! You can become pregnant again within one week of an abortion, so it is best to consider your options. At carafem, you discussed your birth control options and hopefully you have decided which one is best for you. Now is a good time to start!
Bleeding usually begins in 1-4 hours after step 2.
You will experience bleeding and cramping that can last up to 12 hours, but usually takes 6-8 hours. You should plan to rest and take it easy for about 24 hours. You will have pain medication and anti-nausea medication and information to help manage any discomfort. We will also provide you with plenty of information so that you will know what to expect each step of this process: you are in control, but if you have any questions we are always here to help.
We will follow up with you to check in with you and to make sure everything went smoothly.
Find a carafem
We are located in the Washington DC, Nashville, Tennessee, and Chicago, Illinois metro areas as well as Atlanta, Georgia. In our centers, we deliver high-quality, specialized care that is safe, supportive, and convenient. With a new model of early term abortion care, people who come into our centers can find relief, strength, and confidence.