The abortion pill is actually two different pills taken in sequence: the first one is taken at our center, and then the other one is taken the same day (at the earliest) up to 72 hours (at the latest) at home.
Check to see if you fit the criteria to take the abortion pill.
Am I eligible
to take the abortion pill?
Here’s how it works: The first pill, mifepristone, blocks a hormone necessary for a pregnancy to grow. The second pill, misoprostol, stimulates your uterus to cramp and bleed so that the pregnancy will leave your body (similar to a miscarriage).
These pills are not available through pharmacies or at most regular doctor’s offices. carafem staff has specific training to help you through this process. These pills are different from birth control pills or emergency contraception pills (Plan B).
Take the first pill Mifepristone at carafem
Most people feel fine after taking this first pill. Some will have nausea, and fewer will experience bleeding.
After taking your first dose at carafem, you can proceed with normal activities until you take the 2nd medication.
Same day to 72 hrs later, take 2nd pills – Misoprostol at home
We will go over how to do this in detail before you leave our center.
You will let the pills dissolve into your cheeks or insert them into your vagina.
The abortion begins within 1-4 hours after step 2
You will experience bleeding and cramping that can last 6-8 hours.
You should plan to rest for at least 24 hours.
Ready to make an appointment? Start here.
MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THE PILL
- Home pregnancy tests are widely available, inexpensive, and reliable.
- If it has been less than 5 days since you’ve had unprotected sex, you still have emergency contraception as an option.
If you decide that using the abortion pill is the best option for you, you must be in the early stage of your pregnancy.
We will also want to know the names of any medication you are taking. Be ready to discuss any medical issues or allergies you may have.
We will always offer you the first available appointment at carafem that works with your schedule. We will make every effort to schedule as soon as possible, within a few days.
We take medical insurance. If you have it, please provide your insurance information to our staff when making an appointment. If you do not have insurance, our staff may be able to provide you with a reduced rate. The out of pocket cost is varies by location — please see our location page for specific price information. Our staff will work with you to review all possible options.
- First you will fill out some paperwork (like you will find in any doctor’s office!)
- Then you’ll talk to your clinician about expectations, concerns, and any other questions you may have. She may also have questions for you.
- Then you’ll take a pregnancy test (peeing in a cup)
- You may need a blood test to determine Rh factor, something we may need to give you extra medication for depending on the result. This is a finger poke. But if you know your blood type, just let us know.
- We’ll then do an ultrasound to confirm you are early enough to take the abortion pill.
- Then you’ll take the first pill (mifepristone) at the carafem center. Most people feel fine after taking this first pill. Some will have nausea, less will have bleeding. After taking this pill, you can proceed with normal activities until it is time to take the 2nd medication.
- Start your birth control method! You can become pregnant again within one week of an abortion, so it is best to consider your options. At carafem, you discussed your birth control options and have decided which one is best for you. Now is a good time to start!
Bleeding usually begins in 1-4 hours after step 2.
You will experience bleeding and cramping that can last up to 12 hours, but usually takes 6-8 hours. You should plan to rest and take it easy for about 24 hours. You will have pain medication and anti-nausea medication and information to help manage any discomfort. We will also provide you with plenty of information so that you will know what to expect each step of this process: you are in control, but if you have any questions we are always here to help.
We will follow up with you to check in with you and to make sure everything went smoothly.
Don’t see your question answered here? Visit our FAQ page for many more answers!