Now offering same-day appointments to get an IUD!
Have a free lunch hour? Head over to carafem for a 5 minute procedure.
What is it?
An intrauterine contraceptive (IUC, more commonly known as IUD) is a highly effective, long-acting, reversible contraceptive (LARC) method of birth control that is successfully used by people all over the world to plan their families and space their pregnancies. It takes only a few minutes to be inserted into the uterus and, once in place, is one of the most effective methods of birth control out there. Insertion by a trained clinician is super easy and does not require general anesthesia or any type of surgery — and it’s super safe. Did we mention you can’t feel an IUD after it’s inserted? Talk about amazing.
- Why highly effective? Because IUDs are over 99% effective preventing pregnancy!
- Why long-acting? Because IUDs can be used effectively for anywhere from 3 to 12 years!
- Why reversible? Because you can have your IUD taken out anytime you like — either to switch birth control methods or to start trying to conceive right away!
What are my options?
- The Mirena is a hormonal IUD; it releases a small but steady dose of the hormone levonorgestrel. It can be in place for up to 5 years and takes around a week to be effective. It often makes periods lighter and shorter.
- The Skyla is another type of hormonal IUD that also releases a small but steady dose of levonorgestrel. It can be in place for up to 3 years and takes about a week to become effective.
- The Paragard is a non-hormonal IUD and is also commonly known as the copper IUD. It can be in place for up to 12 years, is effective immediately, and is used by people who’d rather avoid hormonal methods of birth control — or those who want something really long-lasting. Paragard is also the most effective method of emergency contraception. It can be inserted up to 5 days AFTER sex to prevent pregnancy — and then keep you protected from future unwanted pregnancies.
How much does it cost?
Fees vary, but IUD insertions are oftentimes covered by insurance. carafem accepts most major insurance plans and may be able to work with you if you need financial assistance. Please check with your insurance provider to learn if your plan covers IUDs, and then call us to set up an appointment!
When can I get it?
We offer same-day, next-day, evening, and weekend appointments! We make it as easy as possible to come in and have your reproductive healthcare needs met. You can read more about the different types of IUDs here — and hear real experiences from people who use them.
Want to book an appointment? Call us at (855)-SAY-CARA or schedule online below.